Friday, March 6, 2015

I Hope It's True

I hope it is true that all dogs go to heaven for it would be a far drearier place if they did not.

I just heard from an online friend of mine.  His companion in both home and field for the last 13 or so years has passed.  You might not be a dog lover or a pet lover at all, but I can tell you that loosing a pet is hard.  As hard as loosing a human companion.

This is especially hard on my friend.  You see he lost both his wife and son in one year.  The only one he had left for a while was his Pearl.  She could sense when it was the hardest on him and she would try and comfort him by laying her head on his leg, or nudging him towards the door for a walk if it was not hunting season.

She would spend hours in a blind or walking a field for water fowl or pheasants.  Never a complaint nor a whimper.  Standing close and alert when the geese flew into range waiting for one to hit the ground.  Working a field with her nose tuned to the smell of a pheasant rooster in hiding.  Retrieving the ones she finds and thinking all the time, I would imagine, that it was all a wondrous adventure and game to play.

Now Pearl is gone and there is another hole in a heart tonight.  No amount of sympathy will heal that hole for a long time to come. For now there is one less in the pack and that place will never be filled by another.  It can't be.

As a wise man said, "If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they are."  I believe Will Rodgers had that nailed.

Until next time..................

No comments:

Post a Comment