Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Walk In The Woods

I spent a few hours in the woods with the grandson this morning.

Up until a couple of years ago I had not hunted regularly in a long time.  That all changed with Bill, my oldest grandson, coming to stay with us along with his Mom, older sister, and younger brother.  To say that we had a houseful is something of an understatement.  Bill is one that would rather be out in the woods or on a stream/lake.  I soon found out that in spite of having ADHD he was focused and attentive.  I have tried since then to get him out as much as possible.

I bought his first rod and reel combination and tackle box for him.  I have also bought his first .22.  During this season he is using my shotgun.  Now before any gets all up in arms about what I should be buying for him or not buying for him, let me just say that he not only took the Hunter's Education Class (mandated by law but he would have taken it any way as per Papa's law) but went through several hours of gun safety and education from me.  I trust him with a gun but he is not unsupervised when he is handling one either.

Bill used to be totally scared of anything that was remotely loud.  Firecrackers and thunder included.  He has matured enough to over come most of those fears now.  With whatever 'new' fire arm he sees to be able to handle it, he wants to shoot it.  He is a pretty good shot.  His first squirrel with a .22 took 11 shots to bring it down.  Today with the shotgun he got 5 squirrels with 6 shots.  Unfortunately he lost one that he shot.  With my one we got half of a limit of squirrels.  It makes me proud to have been with him and see him develop into the young man he is today.

Today is extra special to me at least.  With ALS I may not have that many more seasons to go to the woods and hunt with Bill.  I am sure that he will do his best to take me with him when it comes to that.  More importantly he will have the memories of the first squirrel, the most squirrels, and how he out hunted me every time.  Me I will always see in my minds eye him easing through the woods and stalking squirrels way up in the tree tops.  When he tells me about his hunt I will be able to see that even clearer than just remembering it.

I know that, if possible, I will be walking those woods with him after I am gone.

Maybe, just maybe, he will feel my presence with him and he will smile and take aim, whispering, "This is for you Papa."

Until next time...........................




No comments:

Post a Comment