Friday, May 22, 2015

Squirrel Woods

I just finished a book, Cogan's Woods by Ron Ellis.  If you hunt, have hunted, or even just want to know about hunting, this is a good book to read.  It perfectly reflected my philosophy on hunting but it touches deeper too.  Pick it up at Amazon if you are curious.

It tells from one man's memory about hunting with his dad.  The hunt seems to be secondary to the story.  When I hunt, especially now when I have to hunt alone, the taking of the game is not that important.  Yes, I would like to limit out at least one time or three in a season, but if I go and never fire a shot, well that's all good too.

Walking through the woods I get a sense of well being that no other place can give me.  I feel the presence, or at least I think I do, of people who have traveled this same land, looking at the ancestors of the present day trees.  Moving softly on the earth.  Eyes watching.  Ears listening.  Smelling the damp earth.  Making one self as invisible as possible.  Searching for and finding that mystical inner place of peace and rest.

I have had the opportunity to teach the oldest grandson how to hunt squirrels.  I have seen how he has matured in the woods.  Taking care to be a good steward as well as a hunter.  He can move quieter than I can and can see movement quicker than I can sometimes.  

We have built memories with each other that I hope he will carry with him for a lifetime.  Good memories of frosty mornings, daylight peeping over the ridge, and the forest coming alive.  I hope he will pass these things to the next generation.  I hope he can look at his child, and say something like, "When your great Papa took me hunting ..........."  or "Papa brought me here the first time......"  Mostly I hope that he can find the peace that I have found and make memories like I have made with him.

I also wish for him the joy of limiting out at least one time.  I know I have not gotten any where near my  limit of memories of us hunting, and I hope I never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment