Saturday, May 30, 2015

Gone Hunting

Went squirrel hunting today.  I almost did not go.  With all of the rain that we have had lately it was just not worth getting out and getting wet for nothing.

Bill was here with us and when the sun was shining brightly here at the house, he asked if we could go hunting.  We grabbed our stuff and headed out.  About half way there I noticed a rain shower right over the place where we were headed to.  Went went through some almost too heavy rain to get there and just as we pulled up the rain cutoff like it was a curtain and we had passed from one side to the other.

Out into the woods and I hear Bill shoot.  I was hoping he had one on the ground and in the bag so to speak.  I went a little deeper in where I was hunting and saw two way up in the tree tops about a hundred feet off of the ground.  After a stalk of fifteen minutes I got one of the two.  I hear four more shots from his direction.  When we finally met up at the truck to head out for home, I found out Bill had three and I one.  One of our very best days of hunting together.

If you want a moral, or a teaching point, or even a life lesson from all of this, there is none.  Just a simple story of two guys who love each other and would rather spend a day in the soggy woods than sit inside and act like everything is alright when we know it isn't.

If you insist on finding the deep meaning in this entry then go ahead and try.  All I can say is you missed a magnificent tree while looking at the forest.  Or something like that.

Until next time.......................................

1 comment: