Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Some Nuts Grow Up To Be Champions


I went down to the river today with the wife to see the flood waters.  While there I saw this tree.  I don't know how many times that I have actually seen this tree.  It is an old one for sure, and I have a reverence for anything as old as this one is.  Its girth would take three full grown men to reach around it.  One of its limbs would be a normal size tree.  There is no telling the number of generations of birds that have called it home.  It has stood where it is observing the seasons come and go and felt the winds in its branches.

Today was a little different though.  Today I saw not just a tree worth saving and venerating, but I saw a champion.  No really.  This is the State Champion Chinquapin Oak.  What that means is that after taking some empirical measurements it was determined that no other tree of this species in the State of Arkansas is as big as this one.

I am impressed.  Really impressed.  This tree has lasted several life times of men.  It is witness to all sorts of times and changes.  It has lived through wars as well as times of peace.  I am sure it has seen its share of romance and heartache being enacted under its limbs.  And if truth be known, I am sure that there have been more than a few dogs that it might wish had never come near it.

I will be cremated when my time here is done.  My ashes will be put into a biodegradable pot, mixed with potting soil, and a tree seed planted in the middle of it.  The tree will get some of its sustenance from me.  All that I can hope for is that the tree that I will become, will give shelter and shade to my loved ones for a few generations to come.  I may never become a champion tree such as this one but I can hope.

After all we both started out as little nuts.  It grew into a mighty good looking tree.  I just became a bigger nut.

Until next time.................


No comments:

Post a Comment