Monday, April 27, 2015

Of Broken Bones and the Future

I once saw a cartoon of two cavemen.  One had a slab of rock and a stylus in his hand, and was addressing the other caveman, who is obviously in some kind of distress.  The dialog went something like this, "I am sorry but medical science just doesn't know that much about broken bones."

Well I can safely say that has changed.

My Angel and I are sitting in a hospital room tonight.  More accurately she is laying down and I am sitting in a chair next to her.  She had her right knee replaced this morning and has done remarkably well with the pain.  She can even bend it in an almost normal range.  Which is a good thing.

The bad thing is she will be in pain tomorrow or whenever the pain meds wear off, and then the fun will begin.  We have been through this once before and we know some what to expect, but then again it has been three years.  Things change in that amount of time.  Medicine has changed tremendously in that time.

There is still a lot we do not know.  There is still a lot to discover.  In twenty, thirty years we will know more.  We may be able to cure diseases we have not even heard of yet.  And yet we may have no further progress on age old problems that we still cannot understand.  Like ALS.

We can hope.  We can work for a cure.  Will we cure ALS?  I have no idea.  What I can say is it will too late for thousands perhaps millions of people.  Maybe too late for me.  I don't know.

What I do know, at this point in time, is that my Angel is out of pain, her knees will out last her, and I can take care of her until she gets better and then she will be able to take care of me.

Of course she knows she does that now.

She just lets me think I take care of her.

Until next time......................

No comments:

Post a Comment