Friday, April 3, 2015

My Baby Is Growing Up

At about 5 pm or a little after on this date in 1989, a little girl was born.  Blue eyed like her mamma, she was eight pounds of mischief wrapped up in the modern hospitals take on a swaddling blanket.  We had waited all day for her arrival into the world.  Her sisters from the time we knew she was on the way, would say goodnight to her each night and give her hugs.  She seemed to know what was going on as she would snuggle back against whoever was hugging.  I feel in love.  Instantly.  Irrevocably.  Deeply.  For the forth time in my life.

Flash forward to 31 October 2006.  One pm.  My blue eyed bundle of mischief had lived up to her mischief potential in several ways.  She was about to do something so astounding that none of us would have ever thought that she would have to do.  She became a hero that day by simply picking up a phone and dialing three numbers.  At 1:05 pm I was in the middle of a heart attack that should have killed me.  She picked up the phone and dialed 911 saving my life.  I heard, "I think my Daddy is having a heart attack.  We need an ambulance."  I don't know what else was said to her or by her as I was concentrating on the massive pain going on in my chest.

On the way to the hospital they nearly lost me as my Blood Pressure got to 84.  Yep that is right just one number.  84.  That meant they could only get a femoral pulse on me.  Any lower than that and I would not be able to sit hear and tell you about it today.  That is not being dramatic.  That is not over stating it.  That is fact.  Check it out with EMT's, nurses and doctors.  Luckily we had the right mix on board that day and I can tell about.

Now it is April 28, 2010.  Another bundle of blue eyed mischievousness arrives in the world.  And I fall in love again. Instantly.   Irrevocably.  Deeply.  For the tenth time.  Time passed and problems encountered and solved.  Tears shed and smiles remembered.  Words exchanged and hugs erased the pain of the words.  And the world grew a little older.

Thanksgiving 2014 and I have to break the hearts of my girls and tell them there was a good possibility that I was going to die.  Not in some far off time and in an abstract 'we all will die some time' way but in 'I might not be here next year.'  They cried. My heart broke because I could not fix this and make it all better.  And I cried.  I must admit to being a coward one this one occasion.  I could not bring myself to tell my grand-kids that Papa would not be around much longer.  My girls had to do it when it was finally confirmed.

The two youngest, child and grandchild had the serious talk from Mom to child that should never have to be had at the age of four.  When she was told that I was very sick and that I wold not be getting better, she had only one question.  At some time previously I had told her that I had a hole in my mouth and that is why I had to have a towel when I drank so I could catch the dribbles.  When her Mother told her, she became all serious and looked at her and asked, "But they are going to fix the hole in his mouth right?"  When I heard about that I knew everything would be alright.

But now today I say to my little girl, Sydney Erin that I love you, and you are my hero for making it possible for me to stay here and meet all of my wonderful grand babies and to hold each and every one of them in my arms and fall in love again and again and again.  To Jupiter and beyond and forever and a day I will love you.

Happy birthday baby girl!

Until next time....................

4 comments:

  1. Happy, now belated, birthday ma'am. I'm not too sure how it happened. Maybe it was by helicopter and maybe it was with gogo gadget arms but somehow your daddy has reached up here to Maine and made our lives better too because we've got to get to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PHW my daughter cannot post on here but she wanted me to tell you 'Thank You' for the birthday wishes. Even if I say so, she is a wonderful young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say any time, but it seems it's only appropriate to give such wishes just once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I would do without my little sister... I love her and you so very much!

    ReplyDelete