Friday, February 27, 2015

Family

In the Rime of the Ancient Mariner a man is doomed to wonder the earth with a dead albatross hung around his neck and to tell the story about why he has to do that.  Family can be like the albatross hanging around one's neck.  Fortunately mine are not.

I am the last of six.  That doesn't make me the baby.  It just means I was lucky enough to be so perfect that Mom and Dad didn't need to have any more.  Okay that was a joke.  Sort of.  Maybe not.

Being the last didn't leave me many firsts to achieve.  I followed all of my brothers and sisters through the same school system in the same home town.  Tiny home town.  We were lucky to see 1600 residents, if that many, when I was growing up.  Staying out of trouble was never an issue because word would get back to my Mom and Dad before I even had a chance to think about getting home.  Gotta love those towns like that!

School was another matter all together.  My older brothers and youngest sister were all great scholars and students. By the time I rolled around I had not just big shoes to fill but you might say they were  HUGE shoes.  Bigfoot size shoes. (Does Bigfoot actually wear shoes?  Another thing to add to my want to know list.)  All before me were honor roll and Beta Club members.  Here I am struggling to make it to the next grade without the stigma of having been held back.  Flunked.  Having to repeat a grade.

My brothers I especially looked up to.  Two military veterans, one 4F because of a functional heart mummer.  One civil engineer, one electrical engineer, one industrial arts engineer.  A little intimidating  isn't it?  But I love them all dearly.

I spoke of not being able to achieve many firsts with them going ahead of me.  I am now faced with several firsts that I am sure no one of them would envy.  I was the first to have a heart attack.  I was the first to have a stroke.  I am now the first to have ALS and know that they will out live me.  Pretty crappy firsts huh?  I know this though, I will be waiting for them with cane poles and a big ole bucket of worms and the sweetest honey hole there ever was for bream and crappie.

I love you my family, more than you will ever know.  I am sorry if I have ever been an albatross.

Until next time.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment