Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Most Wonderful Summer

I have been lucky this summer on several levels.

We have had our grandkids in several different combinations most of the summer.  The two who have been here the most are the grandsons.  They have kept me going to a certain extent.  Fishing, and hunting being the most requested activities.  Now it is fireworks.  We will go buy some today so that they will have some to celebrate with, if the rain stops.

That is another thing.  I doubt there could be a better summer than this one weather wise.  It has not been overly hot and downright cool at night.  Not too dry and rain when we need it.  I can remember a few summers like this, but this one, this one, is so much more special than any that have come before.  Call it fatalistic if you want, but I doubt that I will have that many more to enjoy like this one.

We are not struggling this year either.  With SSD and VA Disability we can make our bills and have some money left over to do other things besides sit at home and worry about using up what little is left in gas to go and get essential things done.  This is such a relief, that if you have never been in that kind of a situation you can not know how good that feels.

There are few things that we have planned for the rest of the summer.  One is a family reunion of cousins this month.  This may be the last reunion that I get to know about and see these wonderful relations.  To know that they care enough to come from all over to gather and have fun means so much to me.  I am sure that I will have something to say about this latter on.

The other is a trip to a place we have never been before, Maine, and to meet family we only discovered we had.  This is the special family that we all have.  The ones that are not related by blood but we have a bond that is as close as blood.  I look forward to this trip like no other I have ever taken or ever will take.

If you have not had a wonderful summer so far I hope that it gets better for you soon.  Maybe it is just a matter of perspective.  For when you know that death will soon be here, you enjoy things that bring pleasure that much more, and rightly you should.

Yes, I have been lucky, and I would not trade this wonderful feeling for anything!

Until next time.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment