Friday, July 24, 2015

Just Goes To Show

I was at the store a little bit ago and I heard a lady's voice from behind me say, "Hey Proud Veteran."

I pause now to explain to you why she would have addressed me in such a way.  I bought a t-shirt from an online marketer that says on the front left breast Proud Veteran.  On the back it says something to the effect that "I am a veteran.  My oath of enlistment has no expiration date."  I saw it. I liked it.  I thought it pertinent.  I bought it.  I have worn it several times and have not, until today, had any one comment on it or to me.  Obvious this lady saw the shirt and liked what it had to say.  I did not take offense at how she got my attention at all.  After all I didn't know her nor she me.

Okay back to my tale.

I was on my way out and had not taken my AR Hillbilly iPad in with me as I was going in only for a half gallon of milk and right back out.  I turned and looked at her and expected what?  I don't know for sure.  Maybe she was angry and wanted me to turn my t-shirt inside out or just burn it.  Maybe she wanted to know where to get one.  I just don't know what I expected.  What I got was, a very sincere, very quietly stated, "Thank you for your service."

As best I could I said thank you to her.

As many of you know I make a habit, or did, to shake the hand of any veteran I see and thank them for their service.  Especially the Viet Nam Vets, and Korean Vets.  The latter served in "The Forgotten War" and the former got the shaft while I got a parade.  And that is personal with me as I don't believe either deserved what we got.

It just goes to show, you do something unexpected and heartfelt and it will come back to haunt you.

It did me today.

Until next time.....................

Note: Yeah I know, two posts in two days!  I am about to go and check my temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment