Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Comfort

I have not written in a few days as you know.

There are some things that take a while to get used to.  We tend to bury things deep inside to insulate ourselves from the pain and hurt.

Things like death.

Okay, I am not talking about my death.  I am narcissistic at this point in my life, but not that narcissistic.

A friend of our's husband passed away in February, and his memorial service was held this weekend.  Our friend lives in Chicago but has property here in Northern AR.  Her husband wanted to be part of that land, and so his ashes were spread upon the land, and it was this ceremony that we attended.  I knew that it would be hard on G, I had not anticipated how it wold affect our grandsons.

They had played hard before the ceremony with the other kids that were there.  Even driving down to the back forty (literally) they were so good and having a good time riding in the back of a truck there.  When it came time for the ceremony they both became very quiet and respectful.  They both came and held our hands.

They knew how hard it was for both of us, and they gave comfort to us.

When we packed up to leave they were back to themselves.  Running and playing and having a good time.

If there is a lesson in that, it is this.  Play hard.  Be somber when need be.  Go back to playing hard.

Believe me the deceased will not be offended.

Until next time..............

No comments:

Post a Comment