Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Brief Time Line Of the Last 3 Years

Some time in December 2013 I had a mild stroke in the right parietal lobe of the brain.  Don't know exactly when it was as I only noticed a tendency to be very emotional about things and a slurring of my speech.  Did an MRI and compared it to another that I had done a year or two before that.  Sure enough it showed an old stroke.

It did not bother me much at all and I was already on the medicinal regimen that would be prescribed to me for a stroke so we did nothing for the time being.  That was in January of 2014.

Now fast forward to about March and I am in the hospital again with chest pains.  My doc comes in to see about me and he is alarmed about the speech problems I am having.  He gets me into speech therapy and I go off and on for nearly a year seeing a wonderful lady at least twice a week for speech and swallow therapy.

In the mean time I am loosing more and more speech ability and start seeing a neurologist.  The first one was a waste of good oxygen.  Judging from her I could have been a doctor.  Any way I finally got in to see a good neuro guy and he confirmed what I had felt for some time and that was this is something more serious than a stroke.

More tests and referrals and on January 27, 2015 I was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, ALS, or better known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.  Typical life expectancy is 3 to 5 years after onset of symptoms.  I have roughly 2 to 4 years.

The good side to this is ALS is considered a service connected disease and I am now 100% VA disabled.  Thanks to a very knowledgeable and compassionate person at the Paralyzed Veterans of America, Mr. Clyde Reed, I was able to get that disability in about three weeks time.

I now spend as much time as I can and as I feel up to it, doing the things that I love to do and what I missed out doing before for whatever reason.

If there is a silver lining to all of this, it is this; I am now more appreciative of the things that I can do and the people in my life.

If only we all were this way.


Until next time......................

No comments:

Post a Comment