Saturday, August 29, 2015

Perfect Shades

I remember sitting in the yard at my grandparent's house when I was 6 or 7 years old and my grandfather telling me about the shade that was provided by the tree we were sitting under.  He had said that at one time the tree had provided a perfect shade.  What he meant by that is there was no sunlight that filtered through the tree.

I thought of that the other day.  I have no idea why that particular memory came back to me.  It was just a snippet of a film clip that played in my head and then was gone.  I didn't appreciate what he had said at that time other than be impressed that a tree could do such a thing.  Then again it was young, in the sense of tree years, and strong.  Just as we all were at one time.

Then the storms of life come along and start chipping away at the strength and perfection that we once had and were.  Our lives start to show the signs of living, with spots of sunlight shining through our perfection.  Such as it is with me now.  I am now, showing more and more my imperfections that my body is forced to undergo with this disease.  I am no longer the perfect shade for my loved ones.

Instead I am riddled through and through with something that I cannot fight and can no longer provide that perfect shade to shelter my loved ones.  Should I conserve my strength to fight this and let them take on the mantle of the perfect shade?

I may never know.

What I do know is that at one time, for the briefest of moments, I enjoyed the perfect time, and the perfect shade of that tree with my grandfather.  I can only hope that my grandkids will have their "perfect time" memories of me.

Until next time....................

No comments:

Post a Comment