Friday, October 2, 2015

Reflections

I know that my words do not reach a world wide audience like those of a national celebrity or authority.  I know that my feeble attempts at telling the truth and offering comfort to those in pain will not go viral.  There are times that we know these things but we need to try anyway.

First and foremost, my heart hurts for the loved ones left behind to grieve and suffer for the loss of loved ones by the actions one very deranged and evil individual in Oregon.  I cannot imagine what I would do if I lost one of my girls, or my grandkids.  I do know that it would cause my death to come quicker.  I do know that I would die with hatred in my heart and soul, instead of the joy of a life well lived.  I know that this bitterness would never leave me until the last breath leaves me.

I also know it is wrong to turn, or try to turn, this tragedy into something political.  This, no matter how good the intentions, serves no good purpose.  It does not comfort.  It does not right this wrong.  It serves only to cause despair and cheapens the lives lost.  This is not the time.  This is not the situation.  It is simply wrong!

I can only think now of the parents, brothers, sisters, relations of all sorts who are in the throws of grief tonight.  Their world collapsing, crashing, crushing their hopes, their lives and their hearts.  This is where our thoughts should and ought to be.

John Donne had it right when he wrote, "No man is an island, Entire of himself, Every man is a piece of the continent, A part of the main.  If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less."

Tonight, I am less than I was before.

Until next time............................

No comments:

Post a Comment