Monday, October 12, 2015

Be Whole

Part of who I am is that I hunt.

Another part of who I am is that I have ALS.

Neither define me as a whole, just as I am a reader and author.  Maybe you like to read.  Maybe you like to water ski in the summer and snow ski in the winter.  Neither of those make in total who you are.  We are all complex in our own ways and have our own niches.  What we do and what we enjoy doing, go to make us whole.

Since being diagnosed with ALS I have made an effort to put emphasis on the things that make me happy, like reading, hunting, fishing, cooking for my baby, holding hands and cuddling, telling those that are special to me that I love them and miss them, being content with the simple things in life and packing as much as I can into just living.

I seem to smile more now and enjoy deeper and love harder than before.  I look at all of this as positives.  Positives that have come out of knowing I am nearing the end of my life.  And that is a shame.  I should not have had to come to this place in my life because I am dying.  I should have been this way from the beginning.  

As you should be.

Be happy with yourself and do things to make you happy.  Smile more, love deeper, work hard and play harder, tell the ones that are special to you that you love them, hold the hand of that special person in your life, give random hugs, laugh at silly things, read that book you always wanted to read, go to the movies more often and make out in the back row like you did in high school, be spontaneous.

Don't wait.  Do it today!


Until next time..........................

5 comments:

  1. Wow such amazing touching words, inspiration to more people then I'm sure you could imagine. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce for your kind words. I don't know if I inspire any one at all but if I do inspire just one person then I will be happy.

      Delete
  2. I've found through my journey that the two most important questions you must answer while on this big Earth is 1.) Did I live honestly? and 2.) Did I love with all my heart?
    And what a blessing, a gift that you are here to share your enlightenment. Sometimes it takes a sudden loss or an impending loss to really open our Spiritual eyes. It's then that gratitude can come flooding in! Love you, Uncle Byron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too my beautiful niece! I always have and I will always.

      Delete
  3. I've found through my journey that the two most important questions you must answer while on this big Earth is 1.) Did I live honestly? and 2.) Did I love with all my heart?
    And what a blessing, a gift that you are here to share your enlightenment. Sometimes it takes a sudden loss or an impending loss to really open our Spiritual eyes. It's then that gratitude can come flooding in! Love you, Uncle Byron.

    ReplyDelete