Monday, May 2, 2016

Dying Laughing

It seems in life I have responded to serious illnesses by saying things that get everyone around me laughing.  Don't get me wrong I would never be a stand-up comedian or anything.  On an open mic night at a comedy club, and me being the only contestant, I would still loose.  That's how bad the jokes are.

At the VA ALS Clinic today, was one of those times.  It wasn't so bad with the doc and intern, but right after them came the psychologist.

Yeah.

Uh hu.  Hummmm I went there.

It was insane every cliche and bad psycho joke started running through my head.  But this time I didn't start it.  No really.  My oldest daughter that I love dearly, and whom will be brought up on justifiable homicide charges after she reads this, started it.  My first reaction was that they had finally caught up with me and I would be seeing the nice young men in those little white coats in a few seconds.  HER first response was to laugh and say, "With our family, doctor you can finally retire!"

This in the first few seconds she was in the room.  That was the high water mark.  Believe me it went down hill fast from there.

I won't, for legal purposes and for protection of the guilty, repeat any more of the conversation.

She, the psychologist, has a hard enough job as it is I suppose.  Talking to the living dead about how they are dealing with the fact that all too soon they will cease being the living dead and just be dead.  Now how bad a job is that?  I doubt that any amount of training would ever get me to where I could do that.  At least with a straight face.

All I can say is, Doc thanks for laughing a while with us for a while and letting us forget in our laughter that pain of knowing, and being so damn scared for just a little bit.  I hope it was good for you as well.

For the curious, I guess I passed, cause I got to go home.



Until next time.................



1 comment:

  1. luv u buddy....we will share those pretty white coats with sleeves to hug ourselves with .one day together

    ReplyDelete