Thursday, March 10, 2016

Unleash Your Inner Elvis!

One of the manifestations of ALS is muscle twitching.  You know that little nervous tic you get at the corner of your eye some times?  It is the same thing only in larger muscles of the face, arms, and legs.

It really is strange to watch these tics.  When they first began it was like something just below the skin trying to get out.  Sorta like in Alien when, at the end, Sigourney Weaver gives birth to the Alien baby.  It was cool.  They didn't hurt and were entertaining, at least to me.  Okay, I'll admit it, I'm weird.

What started out in the inside of my elbow of my right arm, has now spread to more, and larger muscles, in my arms and shoulders.  Now to my face as well.  No I am not always making faces at you on purpose, but it is sometimes.  I can make faces and have a ready excuse if some one should take offence.  I can have so much fun and get away with it all at the same time.

But I digress.

A new tic has showed up in the past week or two.  It is on the right side of my nose and upper lip.  The best way to describe this one is, it is like a string connected to my upper lip and it is being pulled straight up.

Yeah, you know where this is going.

Elvis made that expression famous when he was at the top of his popularity.  A half grin, half sneer, all attitude.  Made in the direction of young attractive girls and there might have been a swooning in the making.

Whenever this happens to me now I have to giggle a little to myself.  It is funny to me because I have the thought that I am channeling my inner Elvis.  And it is all involuntary on my part.  I'm not even sure that I could make that face voluntarily now or not.  Tell the truth, I was never very good at making it when I could control it.  I'm better at it now than then.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I am still having fun even with the curve ball that life has thrown my way.  If I would let it, all of this could wear me down and drive me into seclusion and depression, more dependent on a pill to put me to sleep at night, another to wake me up in the morning, and a third to keep me from shooting jerks that I would come across all day long.

As it is I can make faces at you and you will never know if it is me doing it on purpose or the ALS doing it for me.

And I will never tell.


Until next time...................





No comments:

Post a Comment