Wednesday, January 6, 2016

One Year and Counting

One year ago we were in a state of anxiety, waiting for all my tests to be done and for the results to come back.  I knew already that the results would not be good.  We just had to go to one more appointment which would come on the 26th.  On the 27th my neurologist gave me the long face.  In that year I have gone from being able to speak and be understood, to not being able to speak at all.  I have lost a whole person in weight, from 215 lbs to about 140.  But...........

Since then it has been an amazing year!  Wait!  What?!  Nope not a typo.  It has been an amazing year for me.  I have learned so much about myself and others over the last 360 some days, and I have met some really beautiful people.

For instance, Laura Blume from ALS in Wonderland, who from a great personal tragedy has made something totally amazing.  She has taken her time to actually come and visit with us and to encourage us.  She and her mother are truly Angels among us.

Clyde Reed of Paralyzed Veterans of America.  He cut through so much red tape that surely his light saber came close to over heating.  In less than a month he had my VA disability and worked very closely with us on any number of problems and blips along the way.

The great folks at UAMS ALS/MDA clinic.  Those ladies all rock and the staff so caring and gentle it is unbelievable!

During this year I have learned that the depth of feeling for loved ones is bottomless.

Friends are as precious as any gold, silver, or any valuable gem that has ever been.

I have gone places and reconnected/connected with relatives and unrelated family that I never knew I had.  You know the people who some how find their way into your heart and if they ever leave, a hole will open up that never actually heals.  Thank you Matt, Meghan, and Beau Briggs, our lives are unmeasurably richer because we found you guys!

Yes, it has been a hell of a year in many many ways.  Despite it all, I am richer today than I was a year ago and have so much more to be grateful for.


Until next time................

No comments:

Post a Comment