Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I Have Become Like My Dad

I thought of my Dad this morning.

That, in and of itself, is not unusual for I think of both of my parents every day and often every day.  What got me this morning is that while dressing to go to Wal Mart to pick yet more drugs, I was dressing in layers for a fairly mild winter's day.  By mild I mean temps in the mid-30's, not like on Monday with the bitter cold of lower 20's.

I have always been cold natured, preferring hot weather to winter's cold.  My philosophy has always been that in hot weather you can take off clothes and find a nice cool creek to cool off in, but in winter there are only so many clothes you can put on before you become a hazard to yourself.  For example, when you were a kid, and it snowed, and your mother put so many layers of clothes on you that if you fell, it was impossible to get up again without help.  See what I mean?

Dad towards the end of his life would bundle up with layers of clothes in his room at the nursing home.  Long johns, tops and bottoms, outer clothes and then maybe an insulated shirt over that.  I never could understand why he would do that.  Even on that last Father's Day picnic in 2006 he was dressed similar to that.  As I remember it was a gloriously bright and warm day, and yet he was bundled up and stayed in the sunshine as much as possible, while the rest of us were comfortable in shirt sleeves.

Despite being chilled, and staying in the sunshine as much as he could, he still seemed cold.  He did enjoy being there I think.  Surrounded by children, grand-children, and great-grand-children, all gathered to enjoy a picnic and honor the man who had started it all, as they say.  He grinned and laughed and played with the kids, teasing them to get a reaction from them.  Usually it was a smile.

Today though, I found myself bundling up much as he did on that last Father's Day.  Thermal knit top, shirt over that, and a coat over all.  With all of that I was still chilled and my hands stayed cold, much as they do now a days.  I did enjoy getting out, even if it was for more meds.

It did occur to me as I dressed that I had become like my Dad.  Considering the kind of man he was, I could do worse, much worse, than that.

Thanks Dad.



Until next time..................................

No comments:

Post a Comment